Thursday, September 4, 2008

Yeah. I'm a Maniac.


Today I got this shirt in the mail. It is a singlet, for running.

It arrived in the middle of the day ~ I was about to drive my daughter to the airport, and I checked the mail on the way to the car. I was not expecting the shirt to arrive so soon. I had her open the package while I was driving. It's my Marathon Maniac shirt. Cool.

Not everyone can have one of these shirts. You have to be a Maniac. And for that, you have to qualify.

As I mentioned in the post about the Wyoming "Run With(out) the Horses" marathon, I had been meaning to join Marathon Maniacs for some time. I've seen these shirts at marathons, and I have met some of the maniacs. I was told by two of them that I should join, because I certainly qualified for it.

To be certified "insane," you have to do more than just run a marathon. There are different levels of craziness, with different criteria. When I first looked into this, last year, I was shocked to see that I qualified, not just on the basic level (which they call "bronze"), but on the silver level.

So this month, when I finally got around to having myself committed, I was horrified to learn that it was even worse than that. I had leaped right over the "gold" level, and was now insane at the iridium level. I didn't even know what iridium was! I had to look it up. It was running 10 marathons in 2007, that did it. I only needed nine, to reach the fourth level of the craziness hierarchy.

I will never be as far gone as some of these guys. The really crazy ones are certified at the tenth level ~ the "titanium" level, by running 52 marathons in one year, or some such stunt. So I remain humble, as well as keeping somewhat connected to the world of common sense. (In comparison, that is).

(Don't tell the Maniacs, but I think there should be one more criterion for insanity ~ if you run a marathon, immediately hop in the car and drive for 13 hours straight, arrive home after midnight, and go to work in the morning ~ that should figure into the diagnosis in some way!)

It's good that I joined now, before it gets even worse. I was happy to see the email from the nice young men in the white coats, telling me that I was in.

I got my daughter to the airport, and dropped her off, and proceeded hastily to the college, to teach for the rest of the day. A pretty easy day, but I was tired, and frustrated because I have been knocking my head against various academic brick walls, without any of the walls budging one bit.

I got home, and took some aspirin for the headache caused by the brick wall impact, and ate a very unhealthy "meal" of two pieces of fried BBQ chicken. I was really tired and defeated, and I didn't feel like doing anything. I turned on the TV, but it was just a bunch of Republican speeches. I tried NPR ~ same thing. I don't want to hear that tonight, so I turned it off. I opened my Sciral Consistency, and it said I have to do one load of laundry, or I will get a red square tomorrow. Just one load. I can do that, if it's just one. I'm tired, but I can do one load.

And then, my email buzzed. It was a brick wall. It budged. It's not knocked down yet, mind you ~ I still have some more head-banging to do ~ but it budged.

I looked up, and saw my Maniac shirt hanging up on the other side of the room. I decided to blog about it, because I needed to turn my thoughts to some kind of accomplishment. Writing a blog post forces my brain to stop and ponder the meaning of the yellow shirt. I got it because I ran 24 marathons. Every one of them made some part of my body feel a little like my head feels now (on account of the brick wall).

The news about the brick wall moving a tiny bit made me hungry for more, so that is why I am writing about the shirt. The good thing is that the human brain is very stupid in some places ~ it doesn't know the difference between running 24 marathons and making a brick wall move a tiny bit and crossing "do one load of laundry" off a to-do list. They are all wins, and they all need to be celebrated. The brain will celebrate it, if you tell your brain "It's done! Party time!"

Now I feel like I can do a few more things on my to-do list, and I think it's because I took some time to appreciate the wins. There are always wins ~ you just have to focus on them. It doesn't matter, to your brain, how big it is ~ it's still a win.

(Disclaimer ~ I also had some coffee. That probably helped some too.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

10?!? I am completely impressed and also want to suggest psychiatric evaluation....but you've already confessed to insanity. (Of course I'm kidding. You're awesome.) You've earned that singlet.

Laura said...

Congrats on the shirt! Wear it with pride :)

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right--there should be another level devoted to those who can immediately get in their car (and can make their legs pump the gas/brake pedals), drive for hours on end, sleep for a couple of hours, get up and go to work the next day. You are a true maniac (and we're proud of you)!