Monday, September 15, 2008

This Cold is NOT Going to Get Me!

I haven't caught a cold in years. I am convinced that it is because every morning, I take Air-born or Emergen-C. (Actually, I take the cheaper, Walgreens brand. It's the same thing.)

When I do get the slightest hint of a cold, I take even more ~ every 3 hours ~ until the symptoms go away. Since I've been doing this, no cold has ever gotten a germhold on me.

It's mostly vitamins. Wal-born has more fat-soluble vitamins, and Emergen-C has more water-soluble. So I feel more comfortable taking the Emergen-C, if I'm going to be taking it that much.

I'm willing to admit that it could be the placebo effect at work. But whether it is the ingredients, or my own mind, it works, so I'm going to keep doing it. I BELIEVE.

I've been hanging around people with colds lately, and yesterday I started getting the first hints. Today, it was unmistakable. I got the runny nose, the sore throat, and the general tired feeling.

So I went to Walgreens and stocked up. I've been sucking on hard candies all day (I think that's as good as the medicinal losenges for a sore throat.) Then I came home and had a can of bean & vegetable soup. I was out of chicken soup. I'm low on groceries in general.

I have three apples. If I eat one every 8 hours, that will keep three doctors away until I can get to the store.

And I had a beer. (You can see the top of the beer bottle peeking out from behind the vitamin boxes).

I'm already starting to feel better. I'm going to lie down for a short while. I still have some things I have to get done tonight, so I don't get red squares tomorrow. But I can tell this thing isn't going to slow me down. I always say I don't get colds, so now we are going to test my claim. Stay tuned to this blog in the next few days, for more updates. I'll show you. This cold is not going to get me.

Either that, or I will just have expensive pee.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This line had me busting out laughing:

"I'm willing to admit that it could be the placebo effect at work. But whether it is the ingredients, or my own mind, it works, so I'm going to keep doing it. I BELIEVE."

I love it!

Anonymous said...

Get lots of rest and stay positive!

Queen Sarah said...

Thanks, Amy! Sid ~ It's funny, but it's TRUE!

I have been engaging in warfare all night with this bug. If I didn't know better, I'd think I had a fever. (But I don't own a thermometer, so a fever is impossible.) I am going to win.