Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Using Flat Tires to Help Me With My Running



Yesterday I was at work, and the priest came in and told me I had a flat tire. I denied, at first, that it was my car. Sometimes if you deny things, they go away. But not this time.

Fortunately, I was about a block from a service station that fixes tires. So I drove it very carefully to the garage. The mechanic had already gone home for the day. I said that's okay ~ I didn't have to drive anywhere the rest of the day, and as I remembered, I didn't have to be at work the next day until 11am. So I left my key there, and as I signed the paper, she said "you are promising your first-born child." I said, "Great! I'll send her right over! Will you take the second-born, as well?"

(My daughter protests this bit of humor. They are both past the difficult teenage years by now, but the lady at the service station didn't know that, so it was still funny.)

When I got home, I looked at my calendar and realized I had a 7am dental appointment, and a 9am appointment at UMKC. Darn! I hated to cancel either one of these!

I called the dentist's office, and got their answering machine. I tried to leave a message to cancel my appointment, but there was a glitch with their answering machine, and it wouldn't record my message! I had just confirmed, that afternoon, that I would be there for my appointment. I hate when my students stand me up ~ I can just imagine getting stood up at 7 in the morning! So I started thinking about how I could get there.

As I said in another post, the bus system is lousy. I could have my kids give me a ride, but I had just signed them over to the lady at the service station, so that wasn't an option.

I wonder if I could run to the dentist? I had just been complaining to myself about my schedule ~ I get really busy Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and so I tend to put off my running and bunch it all up on the weekends. It doesn't always work well, to do it that way. Not all running routes are safe, but if it's runnable, it might be a good way to get a run in.

A quick check on Mapquest/Google showed me that it was indeed runnable. It would be a little over six miles, round-trip. A six-mile run was on my training schedule for this week. Perfect! I would get up at 4am (for reasons mentioned in previous posts, I need at least two hours to prepare to run in the mornings. It sucks.), and take advantage of the cool weather, get my run done, and not miss my dental appointment.




It was raining lightly when I set out, and completely dark out, and about 62 degrees. When I run in the dark, I wear reflective arm bands and red lights on my shoulders. I had determined that the course was fairly safe ~ mostly two-lane roads ~ no sidewalks, but adequate gravel shoulders, for the most part. I actually think it is safer to run at night than during the daylight hours, because with the safety gear, I am more noticeable to drivers. I run on the left, facing traffic. And I am certainly hyper-aware when it is dark out, and can jump out of the way if a car doesn't see me.




These pictures were actually taken on the way back, because it was light then! Kansas City is a sprawling metropolitan area, and during its growth, it swallowed up a number of small towns and rural communities. I ran through one of these towns. There were several kids and teenagers waiting in the rain for their bus. Some of the roads were a bit narrow, but nothing terribly unsafe. Sometimes there was an accommodation for pedestrians, like this footbridge, above.



When I walked in the dentist's office, all sweaty, dirty, and wet, I said "My car had a flat, so I ran!" They were completely impressed. That was my plan. As we know, winning the approval of dental health care professionals is what I live for. To top it off, I bragged that I have worn my retainer and flossed daily since my last visit, last month!

They were very glad to see me, because the other people who had 7am appointments failed to show up (and didn't even call!) They wondered where I found the "motivation." When you think about it, the flat tire was actually an opportunity in disguise. I got to improve my cardiovascular and dental health all in one shot. (Not to mention the all-important approval). They seemed to think I should get some further reward on top of that, but I didn't correct them. I suggested a discount, but they didn't bite. They countered with an offer to let me play with the kiddie toys. (I should have asked for free floss. I might have gotten somewhere with that!)

I got the tooth fixed, and set off for home. It was raining a bit harder, but not too bad. I got confused and took a wrong turn, so I got even more opportunity for cardiovascular health.



If I hadn't taken the wrong turn, though, I would've missed these lovely views from the bridges.




I cut a couple of tenths of a mile off the return trip, by cutting through the parking lot of the Democratic headquarters. They were closed, or I would've stopped in and bought a bumper sticker.



I got home in time to call UMKC about my 9am appointment. Running to that would have meant an ultra-marathon, and that was not on my schedule this week. I suggested that we try to do the meeting over the phone. (It occurred to me that I could have done that with the dentist, too. He could've said "Okay, now take the drill, and ... " Never mind.)

So I called back at the appointed time, and guess what? No answer! I even called two different numbers. I have been trying for three weeks to get UMKC to take my money, and I've had absolutely no luck! Fine. They don't want my money today. I'll keep studying, and get ready to write my thesis, and maybe they will take my money tomorrow.

4 comments:

Lesley Looper said...

I'm impressed by your resourcefulness! Fun pictures too!

What kind of digital camera did you take on your run? Do you keep it in a pocket or pouch, or do you carry it in your hand?

Queen Sarah said...

Thanks for reading! This time, I just had my cell phone camera (T-Mobile Sidekick) ~ it doesn't take nearly as good pictures as my good digital camera, but I didn't want to bring that much stuff! I actually had two pouches for this run, because I needed a whole pouch for some other stuff I had to carry. They're on a belt around my waist. Some people say it bothers them to wear stuff around their waist, but I don't mind it. I need a whole survival kit for marathons!

Laura said...

I love that you ran to the dentist! My problem is usually time. Almost everywhere I go is walkable/runnable, but I usually just don't have the time to do that instead of taking the subway/a taxi.

EmLit said...

That's a great story! I totally admire your problem-solving abilities! And your willingness to go to a 7 am dentist appointment in the first place...I didn't even know there were dentists who opened that early!

Also, thanks for following my blog and for your helpful comment on my marathon training :)