Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Banana Salad


On Monday, the community college choir I accompany had a concert featuring a piece called "Aeyaya Balano Sakkad." When I first saw the title, I said "Oh, a song about banana salad!" and from then on, the students referred to the song as "Banana Salad."

So to celebrate their fine performance, today I made a banana salad for them. Judging from what was left (see the picture), it went over pretty well. I forgot to add the sugar, and was worried it wouldn't be sweet enough for most people's tastes, but I think it turned out just fine. There is sugar in the Jello, and also in the Cool Whip. And everyone seems to be eating Halloween candy this week, so I think we have plenty of sugar in our lives.

The song was a traditional Hindu folk song, in mixolydian mode, celebrating the Diwali holiday, or the "Festival of Lights," which takes place this time of year. I am told that it actually started yesterday. So, happy Diwali, everyone!

I am almost certain that a good Hindu would not celebrate Diwali by eating Jello, so do not mistake this for an authentic ethnic cuisine. But the students seemed to like it.

Recipe for Banana Salad:

Dissolve 2 small boxes strawberry/banana Jello in 2 cups boiling water in a 9x13 pan. Stir until the Jello is dissolved.

Add 1/2 cold water, and about 20 oz frozen sliced strawberries (I used the unsweetened kind), and 3 bananas, sliced.

Cover with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge overnight.

In the morning, mix 4 oz cream cheese and a package of Cool Whip. You can also add 1/2 cup powdered sugar, but I forgot to do this.

Spread it over the Jello salad. Top with pecan pieces.

Before serving, cut up 2 more bananas, and put them on top.



Recipe for spatula, in case you forget to bring one from home:

Take three plastic forks, and tape them together in the shape of a spatula.



I hope that next semester, we can sing about lasagna casserole.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Ha, I love the spatula recipe :)

Anonymous said...

I will never forget Spatula Recipe. Brilliant!

Anonymous said...

The salad was fantastic, and the spatula was brilliant! :)