Thursday, August 14, 2008

Training for a 5K in the Year 2062


"The value of a future goal is the present change it fosters." ~ David Allen, Ready for Anything, p. 78



I was never an athlete. I hated P.E. class, and was proud of the fact that I have always had better things to do than go out and get all sweaty. That might be OK for some people, but it didn't sound appealing to me at all. I never did anything physical, and I seemed to be getting away with it, so why go through what looked to be a lot of effort?

Then one day, at 42, a random thought occurred to me ~ "What kind of 76-year-old do I want to be some day?" I don't know why I thought that all of a sudden, or why I picked the number "76," but the question had been posed. And the image that appeared in my brain was that of a 76-year-old me, running a road race.

Well, that was weird. I couldn't run a race now ~ so how could I possibly do that when I'm 76? The last time I had tried running was when my daughter and my best friend were running a half marathon together. I was impressed that they could run 13.1 miles ~ I couldn't even think that far! ~ so I went to the race as a spectator, and waited for them to run past. As they approached, I started running alongside them. I got two blocks before I couldn't go any further. Not that I had wanted to ~ but I had tested my limits, and my limit was two blocks.

Now that I had the image of the future 76-year-old me in my head, I could not avoid the fact that the future I was envisioning for myself was not the future I was preparing for. I was off course. But all hope was not lost ~ I had 34 years to train for this road race. It didn't have to be a marathon. It could be a 5K. I could do it, if I started right away.

So I bought a pair of running shoes that day. With my daughter's help, two blocks turned into three, and then four, and pretty soon, I was running a mile, and then two. It is easy to become addicted, in the beginning stages, because every day, it seemed, I broke a PR. Each new distance was impossible, and then I ran it!

At some point, I decided that I would run a marathon. It was not a smooth path to the marathon, because with all the over-enthusiasm of a novice, I ended up with a stress fracture. We will skip that part of the story for now, but I kept the marathon as a goal, and eventually, the next year, I made it.

On the eve of my first marathon, I was sitting at the pasta dinner, chatting with other marathoners. I was astonished to learn that several of them had as a goal to run not one, but 50 marathons, in 50 states ~ and that there was a 50-state marathon club that people could join. I loved listening to the stories of their favorite marathons ~ what a great way to see the country! I realized that I was about to accomplish a goal that had previously been unthinkable, and that I might be in for a psychological letdown if I did not have another goal in place, once this one was done. So I decided right then and there, to run 50 marathons in 50 states.

Before I got to my 20th marathon, I started thinking ahead ~ what am I going to do after I finish the 50? By then, I had met several people who had done in excess of 100 marathons, and had gone around all 50 states more than once. As much as I am in awe of that, I don't necessarily think I will be one of those people. The marathon is tough, and I'm not one of the super-talented runners. I don't even think it is that healthy, to run so many hours at one stretch. It puts a lot of wear and tear on the body. And I enjoy most of the marathon, but I have to admit, I don't always enjoy the last six miles! I am testing my limits, and my limit might very well be 50 marathons.

But 50 marathons won't be the end of my running, and now that I have been a part of the marathon world, I see that running at 76 was not a high enough goal for me. Shoot, there are lots of runners older than that!

I'm going to be running when I am 100.

But a good goal should be specific and attainable, so I have formulated a goal for myself. On March 4, 2062, I will complete a 5K. That is the first Saturday after I turn 100 years old. I don't know where the race will be, because the race organizers have probably not been born yet. I hope to run, but if I can't run, I'll walk. It will be a good way to kick off my third half century.

So this is the event I'm training for. All my marathons are just training runs for my Big 5K.

Put it on your calendar! I want everyone to be there!

It may seem outrageous, to stretch the idea of a "long-term goal" this far. The race is 53 1/2 years off, and there is certainly no guarantee that I will still be alive at that age, let alone able to perambulate three miles. Because of this, some people have thought I was delusional, or at least joking, when I told them about my goal. In fact, it started as a humorous idea in my head, but I set the goal anyway.

And a funny thing happened, once I had set the goal. I started living differently. I found myself making food choices according to what would nourish my body long-term, instead of what was cheap, delicious, or available. In fact, healthy foods started tasting more delicious, and junk foods were more often just gross. I was running differently, too ~ I used to run downhills and take my walk breaks on uphills ~ now I found myself running uphill for the cardio work, and taking it easy on downhills, to save my bones and joints. Most importantly, I found that my relationships were expanding. I have always been drawn to older people, perhaps because I was a youngest child. But now I started nurturing relationships with younger people, because more of them are going to be around to see me in my Big 5K.

Now when I run, and the running is difficult, I think "Imagine how difficult it will be to run three miles when I am 100! It might be pretty tough. If I can do it when I am 100, I can do this, now." The future me can only be an inspiration to the present me if I stay on course for creating that future me. It's kind of a science fiction time-loop story, but it works.

So when people express skepticism that I will ever actually run that 5K when I am 100, I smile, because they don't get it. It doesn't make a bit of difference whether I make my goal or not. To be honest, the skeptics are right ~ I probably won't live that long ~ the odds are against it. But I keep thinking of the quote by David Allen ~ "The value of a future goal is the present change it fosters." I might live until I'm 100, but no matter how long I live, I'll be in much better shape physically, mentally, and psychologically because of the changes I've made as a result of having this goal!

There are no 53-year training programs for 5Ks, so I had to write my own. (OK, I know Jeff Galloway's latest book is called Running until you're 100, but that book wasn't out when I formulated my goal! I'm going to use it as a resource, though. He guarantees that you can run until you're 100, so we'll see if he's right.)

My program begins with the 50 marathons in 50 states. I figure I should finish that in my early 50s (I'd love to finish it when I'm 50, but the travel logistics might make that impossible.) Then, I think I will run 50 half-marathons in 50 states. I might sprinkle in a few marathons, just to keep in shape. If I take 15 years to do that, I will finish well before I am 70. Then it will be time for 50 10Ks in 50 states (perhaps with a few half marathons thrown in as well). that will take me into my eighties, and with shorter races, I might even be able to take in a few tourist attractions and enjoy myself on these travel adventures. Finally, for a couple of decades leading up to the end of my first century, I will run 50 5Ks in 50 states.

So, with that plan, it isn't so outrageous to think that I will be able to cross the finish line at my Big 5K.







And I'm going to win an age group medal, too!




No comments: