Sunday, August 17, 2008

Show You Give A Hootenanny



At the church where I work, the Peace & Justice Committee is trying to raise money to receive matching funds to participate in a microlending organization called Kiva.org. Today they held a "hootenanny," and I hope they raised the amount they needed ~ I'm sure they at least came close.

I have heard good things about microfinance efforts. I'm sure it is not perfect, but it sounds like a promising way to help people in poverty. It is a way for individuals (or churches, I guess) to extend small loans to people who are not in a position to obtain a bank loan. The individuals, many of them women, are able to start a local business, and eventually repay the loan. The lenders gets the money back (in most cases), and can reinvest in another entrepreneur, if they wish.


No comments: