Saturday, November 8, 2008

Trying New Foods

Last week, I went to a haunted house that my friends put on every year. It is an extremely elaborate production. They get a kick out of scaring little kids (and big kids). The can adjust the scariness level for the visitors' sensitivities ~ Level one (not very scary) would be for a three-year-old; I suppose Level Infinity would be for the typical middle school boy.

I did not know what level they were going to use on me, so I put my hands on my daughter's shoulders and walked her in front of me, using her as a human shield. I got teased about it later, but hey, you do what you need to do.

I do the same thing with new food.

I had heard all kinds of good things about Ezekiel Bread. It's supposed to be so much healthier than regular bread. So I bought some a while back. When I got home, I stuck it in the freezer. It was unfamiliar to me. When I am hungry, I tend to reach for the familiar.

Yesterday, my daughter stopped by, and was about to make herself some peanut butter crackers, but she forgot to bring the crackers.

I said, "I have some Ezekiel bread ~ you ought to try that ~ I hear it's really good for you!"

She waved it off, knowing that my bread would probably have freezer burn. But I persisted, pushing the bread on her. "Try it ~ if it has freezer burn, you don't have to eat it."

It turned out to have only minimal freezer burn, so she ate the bread. Now I feel like I can eat the rest of the loaf. It's in the fridge right now, and I am going to make a peanut butter sandwich in a little bit, with my new kind of healthy bread. Now that I know it's safe.

I need to get in the habit of trying new foods. My eating has gotten boring lately, and I have even fallen back into eating more convenience foods, because they are easy and cheap and familiar.

Recently I was inspired by a blogger who is trying one new recipe per week. The idea has been percolating, and I am ready to take it on as a goal now. (Thanks, Lesley!)

I'm going to start with the crock pot. That's always good this time of year.

Cooking new foods is always a multi-step project, not a simple action, so I'm going to have to be organized about this. Today I will zero in on a new recipe, and make a shopping list. I might not be able to get to the store until as late as Monday, but I hereby commit to having a new food creation no later than Tuesday. And I will do this at least once a week. It's going on my Sciral Consistency right now. I will let you know how it goes! (And I won't make my daughter be the first one to taste it.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is very brave of you, O Queen. If I were to try a new recipe each week I would certainly have to adjust the level of scary for my dinner guests (and myself). :)