Sunday, November 2, 2008

I Don't Get Daylight Saving Time



Apparently, the idea is that you can save energy by chopping an hour off the end of the day, and tacking it on to the beginning. (And in the Spring, vice-versa).

I've never gotten that. I don't benefit from the time change. Even in the Fall, I don't get an extra hour sleep. It takes me an hour to figure out how to change all the clocks, and change the battery in the smoke detector. In the Spring, I lose two hours. And both times, I end up feeling like I have jet lag all week. I'm sure I'm losing energy, not gaining it.

But the government thinks it's a good idea.

I don't like it, because it gets dark earlier now. I like to get my running done before it gets dark, especially with the weather getting cooler. I'm not a morning runner, so that's not the answer.

There's gotta be a way to turn Daylight Saving Time to my advantage for running.

So I figure, by a similar kind of logic, maybe I can get more running done, and use less energy, if I cut a mile off the end of my run, and add it to the beginning of my run. That last mile is often the hardest, after all. Might as well get it over with first thing!

In the Spring, I'll turn it around, and put the first mile at the end of the run.

3 comments:

Pam said...

Couldn't agree more ... early darkness has my poor dog (who is on my blog now) totally confused about going for his daily run and hubby hates the night so the house is in total confusion! Very cute post!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant, switch up the miles. My grandmother was confused this year too. She called me and said, "didn't that Pres Bush cancel day light saving or something?" I told her no, it just got pushed back a week, but canceling is a great idea!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you 100%! Upon hearing the explanation for daylight savings, a native American supposedly said, "Why would anyone think that chopping off the end of the blanket and sewing it to the top of the blanket make the blanket longer?"